4.21.2009

What will it take?

9:30pm - Monday night.
I already knew that the day wasn't about me, but I didn't know what would transpire.
2 Blocks from home I'm sitting at a red light. My day is almost over. I hear a noise coming from a parking lot nearby. It's the sound of a car driving full speed in reverse right towards you. You are walking away and you skip out the way of the speeding car at the last second. I knew something was wrong. Your boyfriend (I assume) jumps out the car and chases you down.

At this point I know something is wrong. I pull into the 7-Eleven across the street to observe and get on the phone with the Sheriff's station...just in case. As I'm watching and trying (in vain) to find the non-emergency phone number you continue arguing with your boyfriend. You get in his face, he gets in yours. You're upset.

At once, you charge on foot towards the busy street intersection as if running for your life. Your boyfriend grabs you like a bear and carries you back to his car. You're not fighting back I notice. In the ensuing melee you dropped something... maybe your wallet or your bag. I'm not sure.

Now, you're sitting in the car's passenger seat and your boyfriend briefly looks for whatever it is you dropped. He gives up and returns to the car.

I assume you'll just drive off into the night and I will have missed the opportunity to call the authorities or alert anyone to your situation. To my surprise, you're driving right towards me where I'm parked in the 7-Eleven. My heart races. Your boyfriend parks the car at the 7-Eleven and you sit there for about three minutes. At this point, I make an assumption that things have settled down and I start my car and pull out of the driveway and wait... again... at a red light. The whole time I'm watching over my shoulder and in my rearview mirror to see if anything transpires.

Your boyfriend gets out of the car to go into the convenience store and he motions at you with a pointed finger to stay in the car. He goes inside. You jump out of the car and begin a frantic stride towards me... again. My heart is now off the charts... beating furiously. Now's my chance.

You cross the street as the light turns green for both off us. As soon as we're out of view of the 7-Eleven, I roll down my window and say, "Do you need help?"

You don't look at me.

I cruising at a parade's pace next to you as you're walking down the sidewalk carrying your bag and your sandals.

"Do you need help??" I am raising my voice?

Still, no acknowledgement. I know, it must be strange to have some guy talking to you at night from his car while you're trying to walk away from someone who's oppressing you.

I yell, "Hey! Do you need help!!??" You look at me without speaking.

I say, "I will take you directly to the police station if you want!! I can help you."

Your reply, "My boyfriend will kill you if he sees you."

You keep walking.
I leave for safety's sake... at this point.

I call a few friends and go home.

At home, I call the police and report the entire incident.


------

What will it take for someone to receive help?
What will it take for me to persist in helping others?
When will you give up your oppressive life?
When will I give up trying to help you?

That day was not about me. It was about you.

3 comments:

  1. I wonder if the response would have been different if you had a woman with you too?

    That anger and irrational behaviour is common in the world. Good that you tried to help.. but sounds like it could have gone sideways in a heartbeat with someone who is angry and volatile like that. Glad you are ok bro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel that is nuts. Years and years and years ago I was at that same 7-11 and saw a man just pummeling his very young girlfriend. She started running, he got in his car, I parked behind him and got out of my car so he was stuck. Called the cops, everyone is well, right?

    2 weeks later, I see the same man with the same woman, again, at the same 7-11.

    What do you do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say that you keep praying for her. She was in your presence and therefore, in the presence of Christ--the presence that changes everything. Times like this really help us to refocus who really advances the kingdom...God in us. Don't waste the night...you're right, it wasn't for you, it was for her. Keep praying for her...you might be the only one. Keep trusting God that His eye is on her. Perfect love casts out fear--she needs a Lover like ours!

    ReplyDelete